Friday, October 27, 2006

The Sister Study


Toward the end of June, I read an article in the newspaper about The Sister Study and decided to become a participant. Sisters of breast cancer victims are about twice as likely to develop the disease themselves and the study is looking for genes and environmental exposures that may affect risk levels. Since two of my sisters and several friends have had breast cancer, I thought this was the least I could do to help in some small way to find a cause and a cure for this awful scourge. I pray it will come in time to protect our daughters, nieces, and grandchildren.

50,000 women will be participants and will be studied for about 10 years. If you want to learn more, look here: http://www.sisterstudy.org/English/index1.htm

A box soon arrived that contained several questionaires about family history, places lived, food eaten, exercise, products used, medicines taken, etc.

Two phone interviews were done, each lasting about an hour. These were spaced around a month apart. A nurse also came to the house to collect blood and urine samples, toenail clippings, and dust samples.

For this spread I used the illustration that accompanied the newspaper article, extending the colors with soft pastels. On the right side, I glued down a couple of items clipped from one of their mailings.

No comments: